Social Security & Medicare

U.S. Social Security Administration & Medicare

Social Security Benefits

At least 90 days before you retire, you should contact your local Social Security Administration Office for an appointment. The appointment will save you time and allow the office time to review your records.

The Social Security Administration requires proof of your birth before you can receive Social Security benefits. If you do not have a birth certificate, you should contact them to determine what documents are acceptable.


Approximately three months prior to reaching age 65 you should contact your local Social Security Administration Office to inquire about enrolling in Medicare. The Medicare program has two parts: Part “A” is the Hospital Insurance and Part “B” is the Supplementary Medical Insurance.

Please contact the Social Security Administration about your cost per month for Medicare Part “B” Supplementary Medical Insurance. To avoid delay of your enrollment or a penalty being added to your premiums, you should enroll in Medicare as soon as you are eligible.

In order to ensure a smooth transition from employee to Medicare retiree medical coverage, it is crucial the Benefits Department receives your Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B numbers.  You may continue to provide coverage for your spouse and/or dependents after retirement. You will be required to pay insurance premiums by personal checks since you will no longer receive income from the University; therefore, payroll deductions are no longer possible. It is very important you notify the Benefits Department of any change of address.