Policies & Guidelines

Authorized Signatures

Creating Requisitions

Competitive Bidding Exceptions

Computer & Network

Access Purchases

Food & Beverage Purchases

Independent Contractors

& Contractual Services

Individual Membership Purchases

Payment Increases

& Encumbrances

Prepayment of Registration

Receiving Tangible Items

References of Authority

Software &

Technology Purchases

Temporary Employees

& Non-Professional Services

Vehicle Rentals

Vendor Problems

Authorized Signatures

The University of Central Oklahoma is not responsible for purchases, leases, or contractual obligations unless approved in writing by its authorized agents.  Anyone signing a contract or agreement with intent to bind the University must have authority to do so from the President.  Signing an agreement or contract without authority is considered to be acting outside the course and scope of employment and could subject the signer to personal liability.

Creating Requisitions

In accordance to the Office of State Finance, Chapter Two of the Procedures Manual and Section 23, Article X of the Oklahoma State Constitution and statutes and with regard to Title 62 O.S., Section 41.16, Subsection A, any agency entering into an agreement for the purchase of goods, wares or merchandise, contractual services or construction projects for which labor and material must be furnished by outside vendors, such agreement shall be evidenced by purchase orders encumbered by the agency prior to any goods received or services rendered. 

All purchase requests must be approved by the organizational account sponsor prior to products or services being purchased.  If a purchase requisition is received without the approval of the organizational account sponsor or written delegated substitute, the requisition will not be processed until such written approval can be acquired.

For a detailed explanation of general processing rules, please click here.

Competitive Bidding Exceptions

Purchases in excess of $50,000.00 (requiring formal competitive bidding) will be processed with a purchase order issued upon completion of the formal solicitation process, contract award, and necessary approvals by RUSO (if applicable).

The following conditions may exempt a purchase competitive bidding, at the discretion and approval of the Director of Purchasing, but does not exclude providing the supporting documentation for the various acquisitions:

  1. Sole Source/Sole Brand Purchase - documented affidavit must be submitted with requisition for approval.
  2. Purchase made from DCS Oklahoma Statewide Contract or Federal General Services Administration (GSA) Contract.
  3. Purchases made on contracts of other state agencies or state institutions of higher education.
  4. Purchases made on contracts of institutional related consortiums and organizations formed to take advantage of the combined purchasing power of its member institutions.
  5. Purchases of institution membership dues or services from associations directly related to the function of higher education institutions.
  6. Utility purchases which are available from only one source.
  7. Contracts for professional services as defined in Section 803 of Title 18 O.S.; unlimited dollar amounts per PIM 09-01.
  8. Research subcontracts with other institutions of higher education.
  9. Purchase of library books and other materials for library use.
  10. Public construction contracts which require competitive bidding, but Oklahoma Statute differs for the competitive bidding threshold.  See UCO Department of Architecture & Engineering.
  11. Emergency Purchasing Policy for Physical Plant and Housing.  REF:  ADM-PUR-3
  12. Conferences
  13. Grants naming specific items or individuals.  Such grant paperwork should be attached to the requisition. 
  14. Leases - property management

Computer & Network Access Purchases

UCO Information Technology policy allows purchases for Tier 1 computers from manufacturers, with 3-year warranties.  See the Office of Information Technology for minimum standards listed for desktop and laptop computers.  Purchases deviating from these standards require written request and approval on part of Information Technology. 

Any technical equipment which accesses the University Network requires IT approval.  IPads are an IT approved purchase, so requests no longer need to be routed through IT for approval.  IPads cannot be purchased via PCard.  IT requires that University purchases include AppleCare+ for IPads ordered.  If departments wish to purchase apps for IPads, they should send their request to the UCO Service Desk at support@uco.edu

If a department wants to pay for the 4G services based upon business need, they should follow the Mobile/Smart Device Policy.

The Office Of Information Technology has published official A/V Multimedia Campus Standards for UCO.  Acquisitions for such equipment must be reviewed and approved by IT and follow the standards, unless the Office of Information Technology offers an exception.

Food & Beverage Purchases

A MERF Form is required for all requisitions, check requests, petty cash and PCard purchases when food or beverage is involved. 

Policy denotes the following: "The University must maintain internal procedures and adequate file documentation which are consistent with the Board policy and which establishes (1) The public purpose of an expenditure, (2) Prior approval by the President or his/her designee, (3) The cost, and (4) Documentation of the reimbursement."

This form is required for all food, refreshments, meals and beverages.  The completed and executed MERF must be attached as supporting documentation for requisitions, check requests, petty cash and PCard

Independent Contractors & Contractual Services

Anyone hired to perform services at UCO on a short term basis should be considered a temporary employee, utilizing Millennium. Independent Contractors are the exception, not the rule. 

Independent contractors have other customers outside of UCO.  Independent Contractors are those who follow an independent trade, business or profession in which they offer their specialized services to the public, and are not employees nor perform tasks performed by current employees. 

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if you, the person for whom the services are performed, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not the means or methods of accomplishing the result. Please note that Honorariums and Stipends are considered payments for services by the IRS. 

Applicable Documentation:

Independent Contractor Hiring Procedures

Independent Contractor Speaker Contract 

  • The Contract for Guest Speaker is utilized for any individual speaking at a UCO venue.

Independent Contractor Entertainment Contract 

  • Utilized for larger bands/bigger entertainment venues wherein risk factors are greater and dollar amounts to hire such performers are substantially more.  The Entertainment Contract requires for all correct and accurate paperwork to be clocked into the Purchasing office at minimum, 14 business days prior to the event, and the contract commits to a payment the day of the performance.  If the department does not adhere to the 14 business day requirement and the accuracy of all paperwork, no commitment can be made to pay the performer the day of the performance.   

Independent Contractor Service  Agreement 

  • Utilized for any service of any kind less than $10,000.00 to even include performers/entertainers of small venues, e.g. students playing musical instruments for graduation. Frequently utilized vendors for some services may have UCO Service Agreements on file for an entire fiscal year and, therefore, may not need to be completed for each project per campus customers.  Campus customers should check the report Vendors Registered As Independent Contractors with service agreements on file before completing a service agreement.

The noted contracts require five business days to process UCO execution of authority.  These days are in addition to the four day processing for purchase orders.  The requestor should complete the form and have the Independent Contractor sign the contract. 

The contract form should be attached to the requisition and submitted to the Purchasing Department by way of front desk processing and date/time clock stamp with a minimum of 9 business days prior to the independent contractor service being performed.  The Purchasing Department will obtain the UCO executor signature once the requisition and all documentation have been reviewed and accepted as complete. 

Any other vendor contracts outside of these approved Independent Contractor forms require a six week processing time. 

Please Note: If the service performed entails an event to be held on University premises, Risk Management must be notified, at minimum 30 (thirty) business days, before the event date.

All contracts between UCO and vendors require for vendors to carry Oklahoma Worker's Compensation and customary insurance.  The Independent Contractor/Vendor agrees to comply with all provisions of the Oklahoma Workers' Compensation laws and maintain such liability insurance as is customary and appropriate in his or her profession or industry.  

If the services are to be performed on University premises, the Independent Contractor/Vendor shall provide, upon request, the University with written proof of workers' compensation and customary and appropriate insurance coverage.

Individual Membership Purchases

The payment of individual UCO employee's membership dues has been determined to be an invalid expenditure.  However, individual 'position' memberships which are transferable are an allowed expenditure. 

Payment is authorized by means of purchase order or PCard. This is in accordance to OSF Chapter 300, 319P.

Payment Increases & Encumbrances

UCO Purchasing & Payment Services Department has authority to increase encumbrance documents, purchase orders and payment amounts up to $25 without the financial manager's authorization.

Prepayment of Registration

Registration fees for conferences, meetings, seminars, and similar events will normally be paid by purchase orders.  However, in the following specific situations, advance pre-payments (UCO checks issued before the event date or PCard payment) may be allowed:

  1. The organization requires pre-registration along with payment and by standard written policy, will not accept a purchase order.
  2. A discounted fee is offered if registration is paid in advance.

With regard to situation one, pre-payment may be authorized with the completion of the following form if written documentation from the organization reflects they will not accept purchase orders.  With regard to situation two, pre-payment may be authorized with the completion of the following form if written documentation from the organization states that substitution of participants is allowed and should the event be cancelled, registration will be refunded at 100%. These are in accordance to OSF Chapter 300, Section 319L. 

Applicable Documentation:

Pre-Payment of Registration Form

UCO Policy states that any UCO employee failing to attend or participate in a pre-paid event or an event obligatory by purchase order shall be personally responsible for the incurred costs of pre-payment.  Request for exemption of this policy should be made in writing to the Executive Vice President and include copies of all related documentation, preferably prior to the event occurrence. 

Violations of this policy may exclude various UCO employees from participating in or requesting pre-paid events.

Receiving Tangible Items

To assure the entire procurement and payment process flows smoothly, it is imperative for departments to properly document partial receipts and full receipts of products (tangible merchandise).   In most circumstances, your purchase (PCard or purchase order) is delivered to Central Receiving and redistributed to your department by Central Receiving personnel.  Your signature for delivery is obtained at this time. 

However, there are situations involving desk top delivery, and purchases do not deliver through Central Receiving.  This can also occur when a department purchases and picks up items locally, when the product arrives by U.S. Mail or desk top delivery allows the product to be delivered directly to your office. 

In these situations, no tangible product is processed through Central Receiving and it is mandatory in each scenario the receiver of the department document the receipt of the product (by signing the purchase order copy or signing the packing slip, including the date of receipt) and take one of the following actions:

  1. Forwarding to Central Receiving, Campus Box 131
  2. Emailing to djordan@uco.edu
  3. Faxing to Central Receiving at 974-3867

There is no action required by Central Receiving for the following types of purchase orders: Services, Lease/Rentals, Maintenance Agreements, Registration, Hotel Reservations, or Memberships.

References of Authority

Applicable Documentation:

Software & Technology Purchases

All software purchases must be routed through the Office of Information Technology for approval prior to being submitted on a requisition to the Purchasing Department.  Requests for IT approval should be sent to support@uco.edu or via campus mail box 122.  IT approval must be attached to the requisition. 

If a requisition is submitted to Purchasing without IT approval, it will be returned to the respective department.  An exception to this policy is pre-approved IT software.

Temporary Employees & Non-Professional Services

All temporary employees and non-professional services must go through Millennium. See Contracts & Service Agreements.

Representative: Regina Devall

Email: rd@staff2000.net

Phone #: (405) 721-5252

Fax: (405) 721-5259

Website: www.staff2000.net

Address: 13924 Quail Pointe Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73134

Vehicle Rentals

All vehicle rentals are purchased by requisition only, through the Purchasing Department.  To add vehicle rental information to the requisition, seek the item text portion of your requisition.  Add the vehicle text by utilizing the 'modify clause'.  If you need assistance, seek your assigned buyer. 

Fuel cards and Pikepasses are available with a vehicle rental purchase order in hand.  These can be checked out by coming to the front desk of Room 109 in the Administration Building.

Vendor Problems

Vendor problems should be reported to the Director of Purchasing using the Vendor Performance Quality Report.  It is the responsibility of the University to adequately and fairly document problems, and allow for resolve and cure on part of the vendor partner before considering terminating partnerships.  Once the written report is made, the Director of Purchasing will work to resolve problem issues or remove the vendor from campus, if applicable.