College of Education and Professional Studies
Dr. Gabriel Rupp
Phone: (405) 974-5444
Office: OLN 102C
- B.A., 1983 Pittsburg State University (Psychology and English)
- M.A., 1986 Pittsburg State University (English)
- M.A., 1994 University of Central Oklahoma(Psychology: Experimental)
- Ph.D., 2005 University of Oklahoma (English: Rhetoric, Composition, and Literacy)
- Certification, 1990 University of Kansas (Native American Gerontology)
I have worked for eight different colleges, at multiple levels, and in different disciplines. The only constant across my intellectual journey has been a twin interest in both language and psychology, and the relationship between the two. Recently, I have become interested in the history, philosophy, and rhetoric of science, with increasing focus on disciplinary formations and trans-disciplinary inquiry.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Composition/Rhetoric/Literacy, University of Oklahoma
Dissertation Title: The Police in Different Voices: Isaac Newton and the Programme of Purification
- Master of Arts, Honors, Experimental Psychology. University of Central Oklahoma
Thesis Title: Tracing the Footprints of Sentience: Investigating Cognitive Mechanisms Using Q-Methodology
- Master of Arts, English. Pittsburg State University,
- Bachelor of Arts, double major: Psychology/ English. Pittsburg State University
History of Psychology, History and Systems, History of Women in Psychology, Biosocial Psychology, Social Psychology, Advanced Social Psychology, General Psychology
- Rupp, G and Doan, R. (2011) Sophistic rhetoric and narrative psychology: Fielding the differences. Paper accepted to Second international conference for academic disciplines at Harvard (an International Journal of Arts and Sciences[IJAS] conference). Boston, Mass.
- Winston, L., Rupp, G., & Knight, A. (2008, October). Pedagogy of grief: Putting new life into thanatological education. Poster presentation and the annual meeting of the Rocky Mountain Educational Research Association, Edmond, OK.
- McKinney, J and Rupp, G. (2009). The Union of the three towers: The Re-discovering of middle-earth. Poster presented at the Association for Psychological Science, 21st Annual Convention. San Francisco, CA.Re-
- Limke, A., Rupp, G. and Knight, A. (2009). MySpace as a transformative learning technique. SPSP Teaching Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Rupp, G. , Knight, A. & Winston, L. (2008). Storying grief: Externalizing the problem via cyberspace. Second Annual Meeting of the Oklahoma Network for Teaching of Psychology. Oklahoma City, OK.
- Knight, A. ,Rupp, G. & Winston, L. Lawton, W., and Gibbons, J. (2009). The manifestations of transformational learning through social networking. Poster presented Oklahoma Research Day. Lawton, OK.
- Hawkins,K. McKaig, M. and Rupp, G. English and Spanish language errors of bilingual. children. (2007). Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Conference. Houston, TX.
- Knight, A., Stafford., J., Hultmas, J., and Rupp, G. (2007, September). Technologizing Transformational Bereavement Education: Making a (My) Space for Student Learning. Poster presented at the First Annual Meeting of the Oklahoma Network for the Teaching of Psychology, Oklahoma City, OK.
- Rupp, G. (2007). The minting of a theologian and the theologian at the mint; alchemical Christ, scientific prophesy and the rule of gold. Paper presented at the Social History Society's 32nd annual conference in Exeter, EN.
- Rupp, G. (2005). Constellation, Uncertainty, and Incompleteness: Notes towards a Human(e) Science. Presentation at Oklahoma Psychological Society, Edmond, OK.
- Rupp, G. and Green, B. (in press). Positive leadership qualities that facilitate civic engagement components. In Civic Engagement Pedagogy. New York: Stylus Publishing.
- Knight, A., Limke, A., & Rupp, G. V. (2009). MySpace as a transformative learning technique. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Rupp, G. (2010). Self Enlightenment in Woolf, Joyce, and Nietzsche. Comparative literature and culture, September, 12 (3).
- Rupp, G. and Goudge, J. (2010). An eloquent life: Sandra Scarr and playing on the line between pure and applied science. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 55(2).
- Rupp, G. V. and Atkison, J.(2010). A prophet: A study in the dialogics of the social and the psychological. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 55(33).
- Rupp, G. and Kubier, P. (2009). Depathologizing Sexuality: Changing Times, Changing Psychoanalysis. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 54,(36), 6.
- Rupp, G. and Thomas, H. (2009). His-story, power, and women: The themes of a psychoanalytic fiction. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology , 54 (4).
- Rupp, G. and Jenkins, H. (2008). A love story. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 53(12).
- Knight, M. & Rupp, G. (2007). The natural history of madness. PsycCRITIQUES- Contemporary Psychology, 52(34), 11.
- Knight, M. & Rupp, G. (2007). De rerum natura. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology. 52(33), 128.
- Rupp, G. & Vaughn-Blount, K. (2007). Where there is much light, there is also much shadow. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology. 52(40).
- Rupp, G. & Jenkins, H. (2007). That's (K)not Funny: Linguistics, Laughter, and the Science of Humor. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 54(45).
- Rupp, G. (2007). Selfless and Selfish Reflections on the Self: Gazing at the Mirror of Roman History. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 52(16).
- Rupp, G. (2007). Unpacking Foucault's Library: Sexuality, Identity, and Human Agency. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 52(10).
- Rupp, G. (2007). Constellation, uncertainty, and incompleteness: Towards a human(e) science. Journal of Scientific Psychology, October, 32-46.
- Vaughn-Blount, K. & Rupp, G. (Ed.). (2007) Article compilation (course text): A brief overview of the history of women in psychology, 1850 to 1950. (Available from the University of Central Oklahoma Psychology Department), 100 North University Drive, Edmond, OK 73034)
- Rupp, G.and Vaughn, J. (2006). Out of the closet and into practice. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 51 (31).
- Rupp, G. and Vaughn-Blount, K. (2006). A Body of logic. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 51(24).
- Rupp, G. and R. Schleifer. (2005). Ferdinand de Saussure. In Groden (Ed.). The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism. The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Schleifer, R. and Rupp, G. (2005). Structuralism. In Groden (Ed.), The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism. The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Knight, M. & Rupp, G. (2005). A Place to stand. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 50(44).
- Knight, M. & Rupp, G. (2005). A Place in time. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 50(8).
- Knight, M. & Rupp, G. (2005). It's Alive, Alive!. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 50(10).
- Knight, M. & Rupp, G. (2005). “Put out the light.” PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology, 50(32).
- Rupp, G. (2004). From Mother’s Lap to the Shoulders of Giants: Isaac Newton’s Fine and Private Book of the Self. Presented at South Central Society for 18th Century Studies.
- --.--. (2002).On The Edge of The Enlightenment: The Shattered Self in Woolf, Joyce, and Nietzsche. Presented at SLS (Science and Literature Society) International Conference, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark.
- --.--. (2000).John Locke as Reluctant Rhetorician and Surly Structuralist. Presented at Mephisto Conference (History and Philosophy of Science), University. of Oklahoma.
- --.--. (1999). Reading Foucault while Eating a Big Mac. Presented at Hybridity
- Conference (Cultural studies), Univ. of Oklahoma.
- --.--. (1999). Newton after Bohr: The Dialogics of Complementarily. Presented at Science and Literature Conference. (Cultural Studies). Univ. of Oklahoma.
- --.--. (1999). Probability, Uncertainty, and Complementarily: A Quantum Case for Sophistic Rhetoric. Presented at CCCC’s conference. (Composition studies).
- --.--. (1999). Workshop on Longitudinal Assessment in Composition Research. Presented with J Green and M. Flanigan at CCCC’s conference. (Composition studies).
- Knight, J. M. & Rupp, G. (1999). Two Sciences, Part I: The epistemology of object-subject inter-dependence. Operant Subjectivity, 22 (3), 2-11.
- --.--. (1999). Two Sciences, Part II: Mental life and the language of science. Operant Subjectivity. 23 (3).
- --.--. (1999). Two Sciences, Part III: Stephenson’s a quantum psychology. Operant Subjectivity. 24 (3).