College of Fine Arts and Design
The School of Music has two main buildings/locations: the Music Building and the UCO Jazz Lab. Additionally we have performance venues in Mitchell Hall and the Center for Transformative Learning.
The UCO Jazz Lab
The UCO Jazz Lab serves three primary functions. As an Education facility for the jazz studies program, as a community focused live music venue and as a place to learn, write and record music. The Jazz Lab is a world-class entertainment venue featuring a relaxed atmosphere styled after jazz clubs in New Orleans! Every week the Jazz Lab features live entertainment with food and beverages provided by Hideaway Pizza. The Lab also houses a 9 foot Steinway D piano and hosts the Faculty Artist Concert Series on Tuesday and Sunday nights.
The Lab is home to the Jazz Lab Recording Studio. This fully state of the art facility is being utilized for educational endeavors and professional audio/video production, mastering and duplication. Fully redesigned and upgraded in the summer of 2011, the UCO Jazz Lab Recording Studio is a state-of-the-art facility combining educational endeavors with the highest quality professional tracking, mixing, mastering and duplication of all types of commercial audio products. We have recently completed a major rebuild of our facility with upgrades that provide our students and commercial clients with the best equipment available anywhere in Oklahoma. Call us to schedule a tour of the facility. Please click here to visit the UCO Jazz Lab's site.
Mitchell Hall Theatre, Central’s performing arts venue since 1926, showcases the College of Fine Arts and Design's Department of Theatre Arts, Department of Dance, and the UCO School of Music’s theatrical productions and concerts. Each year, many talented and award-winning student actors, singers, dancers, and musicians are featured on our stage. Mitchell Hall also houses a 9 foot Steinway Model D piano.
Mitchell Hall was the first of three auditoriums designed by the architectural firm of Layton & Smith in Central Oklahoma and built by Homboe Construction Company (the other two are at Oklahoma City University and Oklahoma Baptist University). The building, dedicated in June 29, 1926, was built at a cost of $130,000 and was named in honor of Central’s president at the time, John G. Mitchell. For more information on Mitchell Hall, please click here to visit the Mitchell Hall website.
Center for Transformative Learning (CTL)
The CTL is located to the west of the Liberal Arts building off of Baumann Rd. The building contains classrooms, common areas, and the Radke Fine Arts Theatre. This hall is the primary location for student recitals. The hall has two dressing rooms and also houses a 9 foot Steinway Model D piano.