In State Tuition Policy and Residency Requirements

In-state status (residency) for tuition purposes is determined according to Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) policy. Listed below are helpful resources that can be used to assist you in determining whether or not you will qualify for in-state status.

OSRHE Policy

View section 3.17 of the complete policy developed and approved by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.

Key Concepts from the OSRHE Residency Policy

The key concepts from the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education’s policy for Residency provides a basic break down of what will be used to evaluate your Residency Petition.

Petitioning for Residency

Students who wish to be reclassified as a resident after their initial enrollment must complete a Residency Petition and return it with all supporting documentation. Failure to include all supporting documentation will delay processing and may result in an automatic denial.

A Residency Petition for reclassification is for the current or future semesters only and not retroactive to previous semesters.

The process of determining a Residency Petition may take 2-3 weeks. If additional documentation is required, you will be notified through your student email. Once a decision is made, you will be notified through mail with the committee decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

Many students have questions while going through the process of changing residency status. Look over our list of Frequently Asked Questions answers to see if you can find a quick answer to your question.

Legacy Information

If your parent or grandparent graduated from UCO you may qualify for a non-resident tuition fee waiver. You must be a current student who is a non-resident of Oklahoma. The waiver covers the non-resident tuition fees for no more than 12 hours of undergraduate and 9 hours of graduate courses in the fall or spring semester and no more than 6 hours of undergraduate and 3 hours of graduate courses in the summer. To be considered, please complete the Legacy Tuition Waiver Application.

Undocumented Students

A student who does not have documentation proving US citizenship will be considered an "Undocumented Student."  An “Undocumented student” is a person who was born outside the jurisdiction of the U.S., is a citizen of a foreign country, has not become a naturalized U.S. Citizen under U.S. Law and has entered the U.S. without documentation. In accordance with Title 70, O.S., Section 3242 (2007) (also known as HB1804 of the First Regular Session of the 51st Legislature), an "Undocumented Student" is an individual who cannot present to the institution valid documentation of United States nationality or an immigration status permitting study at a postsecondary institution but who:

A. Graduated from a public or private Oklahoma high school; and
B. Resided in this state with a parent or legal guardian while attending classes at an Oklahoma public or private high school in this state for at least two (2) years prior to graduation; and C. Satisfies admission standards for the institution.

These students will need to complete the Affidavit of Intent in order to receive instate tuition benefits if they meet the requirements listed above.

If the student is considered an Undocumented Student but does not meet the above requirements they will still need to provide the Affidavit of Intent but they will not be considered an instate resident and will be charged the out of state tuition fees.