Federal Work Study

What is Federal Work-Study?

  • Federal funds a student may be eligible to earn while working in an approved on or off campus job position.
  • Provides undergraduate and graduate students with part-time employment during the school year.
  • Eligibility is based on the student's need.
  • A work-study offer does not guarantee an offer of employment

How do I apply for the Federal Work-Study Program?

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and indicate on the FAFSA your interest in work-study.
  • To view and apply for available positions, go to http://jobs.uco.edu. Positions are posted throughout the semester. Check the site frequently.

What type jobs are offered through the work-study program?

  • On-campus positions would fall into the categories of: Clerical, Technical, and Tutors.
  • Off-campus positions are offered at a number of community service non-profit organizations. The positions would also fall in the categories of clerical, technical or tutoring.
  • The America Reads program is a program where work-study students are hired as reading tutors of preschool-age children and children in elementary school.

How much can I earn as a work-study student?

  • The student's earnings cannot exceed the awarded amount of work-study.
  • The hourly pay scale for on and off-campus positions are:   
    Clerical- 7.25-8.40
    Technical- 7.25-9.60
    Tutors- 7.25-10.10