Office of Diversity and Inclusion - a Division of Student Affairs at the University of Central Oklahoma
Black Male Initiative
The Office of Diversity & Inclusion and the University of Central Oklahoma would like to cordially invite your student to be a part of the Black Male Initiative & Fellows Program. This prestigious program will provide relevant and transparent experiences for young, African-American males that will aid in their success academically, professionally and socially at UCO through the development of the 5M areas:
- Messaging - building connections with UCO & the OKC Metro community
- Mentoring & Ministering - peer mentoring & networking opportunities
- Monitoring - mandatory study hall and grade checks
- Money - tuition scholarships (2.5 GPA at the end of the fall and spring semesters)
The Black Male Initiative started in the fall of 2014 with 20 incoming freshmen and 5 upperclassmen who served as mentors. The Black Male Initiative was created to address the retention and graduation rates of African American men at the University of Central Oklahoma. The nucleus of the program is the cohorted class in which all incoming freshmen must enroll, the peer mentoring between the Black Male Initiative freshmen and the upperclassmen who serve as fellows, tuition waivers available to assist students in their academic pursuits and intentional and tenacious monitoring of student social and academic success.
Over the span of three years, the program has boasted great success with at 68% retention rate compared to the 48% retention rate for first-time, full-time black male students, as well as a grade point average increase of 12% compared to students who were not in the program. The program is seeking 60 first-time freshmen for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Incentives of the Black Male Initiative Program
- Tuition scholarships
- Peer-to-peer mentorship (upperclassmen mentors)
- Free academic tutoring & study hall
- OKC Thunder games
- Study abroad opportunities
- Historical & graduate school trips
- Networking opportunities with community agencies
- Cohort classes
- Financial literacy sessions
- UCO Black Male Summit
- University of Akron Black Male Summit
Here is How to Get Started!
- Sign up for the Black Male Initiative Program: https://uco.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6QG97NiAR0jZL4V
- Sign up for Orientation (Forge) at www.uco.edu/forge. Once you've selected a Forge day, contact our office at 405-974-3588
- On your Forge day, enroll in the Black Male Initiative Success Central Course (UNIV 1012) with your advisor. You must enroll in this course to be in the program. The class will be on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 12:30 p.m.-1:45 p.m.
- Sign up for Forge Diversity at www.uco.edu/forgediversity, This will take place Wednesday, August 16.
- All students will be required to attend the overnight Black Male Initiative Program Retreat which will take place Friday, August 18-Saturday, August 19.
Social Media Links
- Twitter: @UCOBlackMaleFellows
- Instagram: @UCOBlackMaleFellows
- Facebook: UCO Black Male Initiative & Fellows Program
For more information, contact the Office of Diversity & Inclusion at 405-974-5946.
Full HTML Version