Community Service Leave

The University of Central Oklahoma provides all permanent benefited staff and faculty, who have completed six months of employment, community service leave. The program grants paid time off to volunteer for external community service. Community Service Leave must be requested in advance and approved by the immediate supervisor.

An employee is eligible to take sixteen (16) hours per fiscal year for external community activities.  Employees must submit a leave request to their supervisor in advance for approval, and include the name of the organization where he or she is volunteering. Staffing levels and university business needs will be considered in determining whether to allow the time off on the day(s) requested.

Upon approval from supervisor, an employee must register his/her service hours through the Volunteer & Service Learning Center (VSLC) website.

Community Service Leave participants must record their hours and service site on the paper UCO Leave Sheet.

Examples of Recommended Community Service Leave Options

  • K-12 Schools (Public or Private)
  • Community Serving Agencies
    • Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma
    • Feed the Children
    • Project 66
    • The HOPE Center of Edmond
    • Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity
    • City Rescue Mission
    • Central Oklahoma Humane Society
    • American Red Cross
    • Big Brothers Big Sisters
    • CASA of Oklahoma County Inc.
    • Rebuilding Together OKC
  • Examples of Not Recommended or Not Permitted Community Service Leave Options
    • Mowing your Lawn
    • Substitute Teaching
    • Political Campaigning
    • Selling candy for your child’s organization
    • Cleaning your house

Record Hours Here