College of Education and Professional Studies

Contact Information

Education Building, Room 207
Phone: (405) 974-5710
Fax: (405) 974-3878

Dr. Bryan Duke
Assistant Dean/Director-Educator Preparation

Ms. Cindy Howard
Coordinator of Clinical Experiences

Ms. Kristy Farris
Coordinator of Teacher Certification

Ms. Nina Coerver
Coordinator of School Partnerships

Mr. Jace Knox
Coordinator of Educator Preparation Data Management

Ms. Jan Anderson
Administrative Specialist II

2019-2020 Course Catalogs

2017-2018 Course Catalog

General and Transfer Information for Teacher Education

Welcome to UCO! This webpage includes a number of Frequently Asked Questions and the answers to help make your transition to UCO's Teacher Education program a smooth one.

What are the first Teacher Education classes I should take at UCO?

PTE 1010: Introduction to Teacher Education

PTE 3023: Foundations of American Education in the Department of Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research focuses on the historical, philosophical, political and social influences on education in the United States.

Additionally, this course is the introductory class for Teacher Education and will help familiarize you with the requirements for the program.  It has a 15-hour field experience requirement in addition to the scheduled class times.  Field experience hours must be completed during week days, typically between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m school hours.  You may concurrently take other courses in your major as long as you meet the prerequisites.

To whom should I talk regarding transferring credit from another university to UCO?

You will need to talk to ALL of the following: (1) your undergraduate advisor needs to review the University Core classes, (2) education department chairs need to review the education courses and (3) your program coordinator needs to review your content area courses. See the next four bolded questions and their responses (below) to find out with whom you need to schedule an appointment. 

To whom should I talk regarding general education transfer and substitution courses (University Core classes), as well as major advisement?

Please see UCO’s Academic Advisement website for the most current list of advisors.

  • Declaring a major
  • Discussing the processes of academic repeat or reprieve
  • Completing a degree check
  • Answering other degree completion questions

What are the required 4x12 general courses that ALL early childhood, elementary and special education majors must complete?

The following classes are required by UCO to meet the State Regents’ 4x12 requirements for Early Childhood, Elementary Education and Special Education Majors. Only courses completed with a grade of "C" or better will satisfy the requirements for Admission to Teacher Education and/or to Student Teaching. Talk to your major advisor at UCO to see if courses from other institutions will transfer for 4x12 courses.


  • English Grammar and Composition (ENG 1113)
  • English Composition (ENG 1213)
  • Communication for Teachers (MCOM 2023)
  • English Elective - pick one below
    • Fundamentals of Lit. (ENG 2413)
    • Am. Lit. Since 1865 (ENG 2883)
    • Eng. Lit. Since 1800 (ENG 2653)
    • Ethnic Am. Lit. (ENG4823)


  • Structures of Math or Trigonometry (MATH 2013)
  • Foundations of Geometry and Measurements or Geometry (MATH 2023)
  • Analysis of Data and Chance or Statistics (MATH 2113)
  • Patterns and Functions or College Algebra (MATH 2133)


  • American National Government (POL 1113)
  • History of the U.S. to 1877 (HIST 1483)
  • History of the U.S. from 1877 (HIST 1493)
  • Regional Geography of the World (GEO 2303)


  • Earth Science (PHY 3014
  • General Biology (BIO 1114/1214
  • Science Elective - pick one below
    • University Physical Science (GENS 1014/1204)
    • Chemistry (CHEM 1014/1103)
    • Physics (PHY 1114)
    • Descriptive Astronomy (PHY 1304)

What if I completed education courses at another university?

For the classes you will request we substitute in place of our Teacher Education courses, please gather the following documents:

  • a copy of your transcript(s)
  • a copy of the course descriptions from the transferring university’s course catalog when you completed the course
  • documentation of field experience hours completed for clinical courses
  • artifacts/assignments completed as part of the transferring university’s Teacher Education portfolio

Please note UCO’s Teacher Education protocol for approving course substitutions requires the following:

  • Courses must be from a nationally accredited (and/or state-approved) Teacher Education program and/or university.
  • Courses must be within one course/grade level of UCO’s course offerings.
  • Courses must be similar in content and assessments (based on course catalog descriptions)
  • Grades for the courses must demonstrate successful performance (Note: Teacher Education will accept no more than two program courses at the “C” level. Teacher Education course grades below a "C" are unacceptable for our programs whether the grades were earned at UCO or another university.)

Additionally, please note:

  • Although a Teacher Education course may be substituted, students may be required to complete and submit for scoring the artifact(s) required in UCO’s electronic portfolio.
  • Although some field experience hours may have been completed through the transferring university, UCO’s Teacher Education programs may require additional field experience hours to satisfy our program requirements.

To whom should I talk regarding Teacher Education course substitutions?

Please look at the degree sheet for your major as listed in UCO’s most current catalog.

Determine which UCO course(s) you are requesting to be substituted with your past university’s work.

Course Substitution 
For courses beginning with... Make an appointment with...


Dr. Cheryl Evans


Dr. Terry Spigner
ECED, ELED Dr. Paulette Shreck
PTE Dr. Mike Nelson
HLTH, KINS, PHED Dr. Stephanie Canada-Phillips
(programs outside of the College of Education and Professional Studies)
the program coordinator listed in the next section

Additionally, to whom should I talk regarding the transfer of major (typically, 3000- or 4000-level) content area coursework and specific information about my program of study?

Please contact the appropriate program coordinator who can best provide current information about your major coursework and initial preparation as a teacher.

Program Coordinators by Department and Major
If your major is... Make an appointment with the program coordinator... Department
Art Education (K-12) Dr. Oksun Lee Art
Dance Education (K-12) Ms. Hui Poos Dance
Early Childhood Education Dr. Barb Carter Curriculum & Instruction
Elementary Education Dr. Keith Higa Curriculum & Instruction
English Education (6-12) Dr. Anastasia Wickham English
History Education (6-12) Dr. Justin Olmstead History
Math Education (6-12) Dr. Carol Lucas Math
Modern Languages Education (K-12) Dr. Teresa Moinette Modern Languages
Music Education (Instrumental; K-12) Dr. Keith White Music
Music Education (Vocal; K-12) Dr. Darla Eshelman Music
Physical Education (K-12) Dr. Stephanie Canada-Phillips Kinesiology & Health Studies
Science Education (6-12) Dr. Elizabeth Allan Biology
Special Education (Mild/Moderate & Severe/Profound; K-12) Dr. Terry Spigner Advanced Professional & Special Services
Speech-Language Pathology Dr. Linda Sealey-Holtz Advanced Professional & Special Services
Theatre/Communication Education Ms. Carrie Hill Theatre

What are essential deadlines for me to follow in the Teacher Education program?

Please see the next round of deadlines for relevant Teacher Education applications:

  • Application for Admission to Teacher Education  (Application period is open Week 1 - 4 of the fall & spring semesters) 
  • Application for Admission to Student Teaching
  • Application for Graduation

When am I eligible to apply for Admission to Teacher Education?

You should apply to Admission to Teacher Education as soon as you have completed (or will complete by the end of the current semester) ALL of the following requirements:

  • Completed/will complete 40 hours of college credit with a 2.75 GPA or higher OR with the last 30 hours at UCO at a 3.00 GPA.
  • Passed/will pass all 4x12 and attempted PTE courses with a "C" or better
  • Completed/will complete ENG 1113 & 1213 with grade of “C” or better
  • Completed/will complete PTE 3123: Foundations of American Education
  • Passed the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET)

To whom should I talk regarding Teacher Education requirements, procedures, applications, deadlines, clinical experiences, etc.?

A comprehensive guide to our Teacher Education program, the Teacher Education Handbook, and the most current deadlines are provided online:

For additional information, please contact the appropriate UCO professional:

Query Directory by Category
If your questions, concern, and/or needs are regarding... Speak to/make an appointment with... Department
General Information—Certification Test Dates, Deadlines, Background Check Information, etc. Ms. Jan Anderson, Administrative Assistant Teacher Education Services
Field Experiences, Admission to Teacher Education or Teacher Certification & Testing Ms. Kristy Farris, Coordinator of Teacher Certification Teacher Education Services
Urban Teacher Preparation Academy, School Partnerships & Teacher Residency

Ms. Nina Coerver, Coordinator of School Partnerships

Teacher Education Services
Admission to Student Teaching Ms. Cindy Howard, Coordinator of Clinical Experiences Teacher Education Services
Data Assessment System Mr. Jace KnoxCoordinator of Educator Preparation Data Management Teacher Education Services

How many hours of field experience, prior to student teaching, are required?

Programs differ in the number of hours they require due to practica and/or service learning activities. The program coordinator for your major can provide the details of field experience expectations. However, the following list provides the minimal field experience hours required of all UCO Teacher Education majors:

  • PTE 3023: Foundations of American Education (& Field Experience) = 15 hours
  • PTE 4533: Educational Psychology & Field Experience = 45 hours

Whom do I contact to find out if my field experience hours will transfer to UCO?

Please contact Dr. Mike Nelson, Chair of Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research. To substitute for PTE 3023 or 4533 hours, the field experiences must have been completed in the P-12 school setting in conjunction with coursework similar to what is provided in either/both of these PTE courses. Other requirements for substitutions may exist, as well. Field hours completed as part of a service project outside the P-12 school setting, such as at a summer camp, etc., are not eligible for substitution.

Does participation in field experiences and student teaching require a national background check?

Yes! In order for you to be placed in a field experience, you must clear a national certified background check with no felonies, period, and with no misdemeanors that are a cause of concern for working with children. Before being cleared to visit any school site as a part of UCO teacher training, you must “pass” the background check.  Please ask your program coordinator and/or course professors when you should complete the background check process. Contact the Teacher Education Services Office (405-974-5710) for more details.

What is the foreign language requirement for Teacher Education majors?

All students who are entering freshmen, transferring to an Oklahoma institution from out of state, or enrolling in a certification program are required to meet the foreign language competency. The foreign language competency must be met prior to Admission to Student Teaching.

The competency requirement is limited to speaking and listening only. The foreign language competency at the novice-high level can be met in the following ways:

  • High School Course Work -- Complete two or more years of the same foreign language in high school with an average of B or higher.
  • Testing – Pass the CLEP test in a foreign language.
  • Native Speaker – Demonstrate this competency through a free interview in the Modern Languages department. (See Dr. Cathy Webster, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, (405)974-5540 or
  • UCO College Course Work – Complete a course in a foreign language (e.g., FRNCH 1114, GERMN 1114, SPAN 1114, etc.) and attain a grade of C or better.
  • Transfer College Course Work – Complete foreign language course work at another institution and submit a transcript and a course syllabus indicating that a grade of C or higher indicates novice-high level competency.
  • Sign Language – Complete SPED 4910 – Seminar: American Sign Language 1 or SPED 5910 – Seminar: American Sign Language 1 (for graduate students) with a grade of C or better. Students who wish to demonstrate competency in Sign Language should see the Chair of the Advanced Professional & Special Services Department in LIB 145 or call (405)974-5437 for additional information.
  • Native American Language – See the Chair of the Modern Languages Department for additional information regarding how to demonstrate competency in a Native American language. Candidates may be referred to another institution for competency testing in these languages.


What Teacher Certification Exams will I be required to take to complete the program?

The following exams are required by the deadlines noted:

  • The Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET) [must be passed prior to or within the semester you are applying to Admission to Teacher Education]
  • The Oklahoma Subject Area Test(s) (OSAT) [should be taken when most of the major coursework has been completed successfully (such as the semester prior to student teaching) and must be passed prior to the start of the student teaching semester]
  • The Oklahoma Professional Teaching Exam (OPTE) [must be passed prior to applying for teacher certification]
  • The Oklahoma Reading Test (ORT) [must be passed by early childhood, elementary and special education majors only prior to being cleared for graduation]

For more information regarding testing requirements, time frames and constraints, competencies and study guides, cost and locations, etc., see this website.

[Note: Students must make sure to save their test results on a computer hard drive, flash drive, etc. There is a minimal charge for replacing lost test results.]

What scholarships and tuition waivers might be available for Teacher Education majors?

  • Federal TEACH grant
  • Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
  • Departmental Tuition fee waivers [Contact your major department.]
  • UCO Tuition Fee Waivers
  • UCO Foundation Scholarships

[Note: Scholarship applications are available to all students starting in the first semester that they are enrolled in and taking classes at UCO. Scholarships are not given to transfer students prior to their first full semester. Students who apply for and receive scholarships must be returning to classes at UCO the following fall semester. Please visit this page for more information.]

How will Career Services assist me in finding employment when I graduate?

  • Career Services offers resources and counseling regarding interview skills, resume writing, business etiquette, and much more.
  • Every Spring semester Career Services offers a Teacher Job Fair to UCO students.
  • Career Services also offers assistance for securing full-time employment including resume posting, electronic resume referrals, access to applications for interviews, maintenance of teacher credential files, an online e-portfolio and more.
  • For more information, please contact Career Services, (405) 974-3346

What University-sponsored organizations are specifically for Teacher Education majors?

Please contact the appropriate sponsor(s) who can best provide current information about opportunities with these organizations.

Teacher Education Related Organizations
Teacher Education-Related Organizations Get more information from... Department
Student Oklahoma Education Association (SOEA) Dr. Susan Scott Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research
Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) Dr. Lisa Lohmann Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research
Physical Education Major's Club Dr. Stephanie Canada-Phillips Kinesiology & Health Studies
Central's Association of Responsive Educators (CARE) Dr. Jill Davis, Dr. Kelly Baker and Dr. DiAnn McDown Curriculum and Instruction
National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association Dr. Linda Sealey-Holtz Advanced Professional & Special Services